10th June 2018
Swindon Civic Day 2018
So next Saturday, 16th June, is shaping up to be a fantastic #Swindon day.
Swindonians, with a bit of forethought and planning you can visit our civicday event, honouring Swindon’s medical fund society heritage and our contribution to the formation of the NHS. Find out a little more about that here: https://www.swindoncivicvoice.org.uk/2018/03/civic-day-2018-why-your-conservation-area-matters/
The Milton Road baths are an historic and unique Victorian health facility, a heritage asset right in the middle of Swindon and an integral part of our proud Railway history. And of course the central community centre, managed by the Mechanics’ Institution trust, was once the GWR community fund hospital.
Were you aware that?
- The Health Hydro and Swimming baths have been serving the community for 125 years.
- The GWR Medical Fund Society, an entity that influenced the formation of the NHS, was already 100 years old when it was handed to the NHS.
- 2018 marks the 70th anniversary of the NHS
- The Victorian Turkish Baths at Milton Road are now the oldest, extant of their kind in the world.
- Swindon Amateur Swimming Club, the third oldest swimming club in the county, has been based at Milton Rd since it first opened.
Five fantastic and important reasons right there why your conservation area matters … to you, to Swindon and to the nation!
Take a tour of the health hydro, then the railway village conservation area, stop off at the central community centre for Swindon themed refreshments and some display material to peruse.
What a bloody brilliant day! #SwindonIsAwesome
Talk in Code: http://www.talkincode.co.uk